Nursing guidance and advice

Rachael Labourne

Nursing Careers in Wales

Information for overseas Nurses

Are you are an overseas nurse, who is qualified and registered, and wants to work in Wales? Here’s a summary of what you need to do:

  1. You must be a registered nurse in your own country. For Ghanaian registered nurses this means you must be a Diploma or Degree holder and not a certificate holder.
  2. You must have worked as a nurse for at least 1 year after you qualified.
  3. You must have an overall score of 7.00 or more – in all categories – on an Academic International English Language Test System (IELTS) exam (no exceptions).
  4. Once you have achieved an overall score of 7.00 or more in your IELTS, you can then prepare for the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) Computer Based Test (CBT) and then the NMC Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE). You will need to sit your OSCE once you are in the UK.
  5. You need to register online with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).  You do not need to send documents to the NMC until you have passed the CBT. 
  6. Pass the CBT – this is an online multiple choice which can be taken at centres around the world.

You will need authorisation from the NMC before you can book and pay for your CBT. You can get more information about the test in the NMC’s candidate information booklet.

If you need more help or advice on registering with the NMC, or any query about training, working or living in Wales, please complete the form below.